Saturday, February 15, 2014

Awareness 2014 - The Year Begins in a Groovy Way

Yes, I know it is February 15, 2014 - and the New Year began 6 weeks ago.
However, I wanted to do some reflecting on the past 6 weeks and the journey that has been mine so far this year. It has been nothing short of an entire lesson in awareness and recognition of God's plan in my life and how that manifests itself in my daily experience.


Out with the OLD, in with DISCO

My new year  started on January 1st, as it did for everyone else. However, my intention as I went into this year, was different. I felt in my gut that I was going to be experiencing a job change soon and I wanted to start my year with people I love, listening to great music and to incorporate an opportunity for giving that went beyond a regular party. It was a way for me to have life continue on, even though a significant change was on the horizon. That was to be a HUGE understatement. 

I excitedly talked about the details of it with a friend of mine and having his inclusion was essential, because he LOVES disco and was happy to be the DJ! I knew he'd be up for the challenge. Next I did some brainstorming with my closest friend as to what it would look like. And the party began to take shape. The video shows what we finally ended up with - was it a blast to put together!

I had served previously with Ascensia, a local homeless shelter http://www.ascenciaca.org/ and wanted to see if donations gathered would serve their community. I was put in touch with Sarah, their donation coordinator and we were on our way. 

Our plan was to have the party at the Church, invite people to bring food and then bring donations to give to the shelter. I had no idea how many people would come, but we were prepared for whatever was going to happen. 

Afton came down from the Bay Area, made her own dress for the party and was a total rockstar!  I could never have done all the decorating you see above without her here. 

Here are a few shots of the final party: 
Afton's custom creation!

My dress was a stunning $ 4.95 ! 


Bassam from Ghana made delicious baklava as a treat for our dinner. I have never eaten anything close to this! 

My friend John, who went above and beyond to be authentic!


One bad AFRO band!


Our DJ is totally playful and fun and got into the groove !  He was perfect for this party in every sense! 



It was a night to remember and it a good time was had by everyone. Out of all my pictures, the ones that mean the most to me are these: 
The car is packed and ready to go!

Finally getting to meet Sarah!

As I said goodbye and Afton went home, I felt a sense of gratitude for everyone who participated. I love the synergy that is created when many hands are together working for a common goal. 

And that was the beginning of my 2014. It started out with a bang and there is so much more to come. 



No comments:

Post a Comment